Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Remembering a very special lady today....

August 31st.....this day will always flood my memories of my dear sweet Mama Gober. This would have been her 98th birthday, and she loved her birthdays. It meant that her house would be packed with family to celebrate. That was a King family tradition started by her brothers and sisters and herself. When one of them was celebrating a birthday, they would gather and bring food and celebrate the day, and that trickled down to their children, grandchildren, great-grandkids and friends. Everyone knew when Trannie, Cecil, Clinton, Jewel, Betty or Pernie's birthday's were...we looked forward to them. And, the celebration usually ended with the King brothers and sisters singing a few of their favorite hymn's. Oh, how I missed that birthday celebration today! I've also been thinking about all the fun as a child that I had with her. I got to spend my early years with her and my Papa. She taught me lots of fun, silly songs like "Ooo-E-ooo-ah-ah". I can still see her in her kitchen frying up some homemade fried apple pies, or rolling out dough for homemade biscuits or rolls.....they were AMAZING!!!! Nothing frozen or canned here :) And she would make the most beautiful quilts....I can still see her and all the ladies that would come over to quilt working on one of her masterpieces. She would always let me quilt too, even though I didn't make the straightest stitches :) And, she could grow the most amazing plants and flowers. I swear, she could stick a dead twig in the ground, and root it into a beautiful plant. I could go on and on about this wonderful lady, and you would have read a novel when I was finished. She was the best Grandmother, and I am so glad that Emily got to experience her love for a short time. We have lots of treasured memories of her great-grandmother to pass along to her, and some gorgeous quilts to give to her one day too. I know she had a wonderful birthday celebration in Heaven today, surrounded by loved ones, and her Lord and Saviour....Love you Mama!!!!



Posted by Picasa

No comments: